Performing a 9-box evaluation can provide your organization with valuable information about your teams, their performance, and their potential that will help you to make informed decisions about talent management, performance improvement, succession planning, and talent development strategies within your organization.
What type of reviews generate a 9-box matrix?
The 9-box matrix is generated on reviews that have included questions that have competences associated in order to measure each person’s individual performance and potential. The 9-box matrix provides a visual representation of an organization that allows managers and People departments to identify high-potential individuals, high performers as well as those who may need further development or support within the organization. See more information about the 9-Box matrix here.
How to configure a review to generate a 9-Box matrix?
In order to launch a review that generates a 9-Box matrix it is necessary to perform the following steps:
1 Add competences to your Nailted account
Prior to adding the competences to your Nailted account it will be necessary to define the different teams potential and performance competences. See best practices on how to define your potential and performance competences.
To add your competences follow the steps described below:
- Go to your account main settings by clicking on ⚙️ that appears on your upper right corner. Next click on Settings.
- Next, click on the Values & Competences.
- Start by setting up your competences selecting the Add competence button.
- Add the name and the competence description.
- Assign in the competence will have impact over Performance or Potential.
- Next, decide if you want it to apply to the whole company or apply to specific groups. In the latter case, select as many groups as you need.
- Finally click on the Add competence button and you are ready to go!
2 Create a review template containing questions linked to competences
Once you have set up all the potential and performance competences it is time to create the review template that will contain the questions related to performance and potential that will be answered by participants. To create your review template follow this steps:
- Go to your Reviews & Check-ins section and click on the Templates tab that you will find at the upper right corner of your screen.
- Next, click on the Create template button where you will be able to create your template by using one of the creation options available:
- Wizard normal mode: By choosing this mode you will be able to create your template autonomously as it gathers the most common configuration options to create your template.
- Wizard advanced mode: This mode allows to add to the template more complexity as it provides more options. As it is a more complex editing mode direct support from our Customer Success team is provided for using this mode.
- If you choose to create your template following the Wizard normal mode, you will find the following options:
Name & description
- You can add the title for your review template and also its description.
💡By clicking on the EN/ESP icon you will be able to add the title and description in different languages.
- Enable the Include values and/or competency questions button to link your company competencies to the review questions. Set the scale that you want to use following the steps described below:
- Click on the dropdown selector where you will be able to choose the default numeric scale 0-10 or create a personalized one by clicking on the Add new scale button.
- If you choose to create your personalized scale, give it a name and select the scale size: 4-options scale or 5-options scale. Next, add the scale labels and when ready click on the Save button.
💡By clicking on the EN/ESP icon you will be able to add the labels in different languages.
Once you have created your scale, select it and it will be applied to the template
💡 Scales can be consulted and modified by clicking on the Manage scales button.
⚠️ If a campaign containing a scale has already been launched, it is not possible to modify. If you need to perform any changes, please contact our Customer Success Team.
In this section you will be able to compose your questions following a structure:
- What would you like to evaluate?: This section will gather the questions that will be visible by the participants.
- Description: This optional field is used to give further information and context regarding the asked question. If you want that this question is required to be answered, enable the Required question button.
- Who do you want to perform this review?: Here you can choose the direction of the question, this means, to whom the question will be done (it is possible to choose one or multiple options):
- Direct report
- What kind of question do you want to ask?: Here choose the Competencies option to link the question with one of the organization competences that you have set up in the last step. Select the competency from the dropdown.
- You can add a follow-up question to this question by enabling the Ask follow-up question button. Besides, you can also configure if you want this follow-up question to be compulsory or not by enabling the Required button.
Add all your questions and when ready click on the Continue button.
Review & sort
This section allows you to personalize your questions order using the arrows that appear next to each question.
Besides, here you can customize your questions according to their different directions as the self-review questions should appear in the 1st person singular, as they are asked to one-sef, and the rest of directions in the 3rd person singular as people are being asked about another person. You will be able to make these changes by clicking on the pencil icon that appears next to each question.
Finally, click on the Save button to save your review template.
Now you are ready to perform the last step, launching your performance review.
3 Launch the review to your organization
Finally, configure your review using the template that you have created and when ready launch it to the groups you have selected or the entire organization. See all the steps to configure a review campaign here.
When will I see information in the 9-Box matrix?
The feedback will be displayed at different moments depending on the phases that have been included during the review set up process:
- The review moves from Participation to Calibration phase: In this case the results will be displayed on the 9-Box matrix once the manager has performed each individual calibration. The information that will be used to place each individual in the 9-box matrix will be the final responses coming from the manager calibration process.
- The review moves from Participation to Results delivery phase: In this case the results displayed on the 9-Box matrix will flow once an individual has received all the necessary feedback. The information that will be used to place each individual in the 9-box matrix will be the average of all the responses gathered.